Treasure!

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Roman_K, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Roman_K New Member

I've recently started reading reports about the Black Swan recovery project. The recovered treasure, some 500,000 silver coins so far, is quite a major haul by all accounts. Both Britain and Spain have some claim of jurisdiction over the treasure, with Spain going as far as to board the recovery ship for investigation.

Some of the controversy in this matter is due to the fact that the company, Ocean Alert, is not interested in making the location of the find public for security reasons.
  2. chrisjordan New Member

3. Katcal I Aten't French !

4. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Bloody Spanish!

This sentence is from the Wikipedia article:
    I really hope they mean 'trawled'.
  5. Stercus Stercus New Member

No, Trolled is right. Trolls sink easier. :lol:
  6. Roman_K New Member

Indeed. Somehow, I suspect sunken treasure ships don't bite at fishing hooks. Though they might have meant that they sought the ship by dragging a great big hook near the bottom of the sea very slowly.
  7. TamyraMcG Active Member

Yeah, trolling is the proper term, trawling would be using a net or something to actually scrape the bottom of the sea. Trolling is moving the boat slowly and letting your line drift by what you are trying to catch. Lure or sonar, it would be trolling.
  8. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Spain wants their treasure back... I wonder if Peru and other like countries would then request the gold and silver the coins are minted from back...
  9. TamyraMcG Active Member

Shhh! you might start something. We have had all these rules for centuries concerning who owns what but I guess it all comes down to who has the bigger rocks.
  10. Stercus Stercus New Member

Careful, the Trolls don't like being called Rocks. :lol:
  11. Roman_K New Member

The Spanish are really basing their claim on the sunken ship being in their territorial waters. Should this be the case (which is quite unlikely), then they do indeed have jurisdiction on it. The claim over the money itself being originally Spanish is quite moot here.

Whereas the ship itself is British, and this is where the British claim enters. Though as the ship itself was never property of the state (unlike the HMS Sussex, another salvage project by the same company).

Actually, this is where salvage law will most likely enter. With a small percentage paid to the state that at least proves to have some kind of claim on it.

Whereas in the case of the HMS Sussex, the kingdom of Britain owns the actual sunken vessel, rather than a private merchant as was the case with the Merchant Royal. Thus the company had to make some kind of agreement with the British government before it could start salvaging the ship, as written here. And here, yet again, the Spanish are involved, claiming that the vessel is in fact a sunken Spanish galleon.
  12. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

A part of American English previously unknown to me that suddenly makes sense of the dubious theories I have read for why internet trolls are so called.
  13. TamyraMcG Active Member

There is a special kind of small electric boat motor called a trolling motor. It is one of the reasons I sort of stopped going fishing. I don't like trolling. I like to pick a spot and cast into it a few times ,then move on. Oh well, now I have to catch a whole new fisherman. I'll be out at the Legion trying to do that tonight, wish me luck. Just kidding, it's Karaoke night and Jared might not even be there.
  14. spiky Bar Wench

Just another classic thread that goes from sunken treasure, trolls to Tam's potential love-life. Viva la Internet!

Anyway, the point of fishing is to stick your line in somewhere pleasant, soak up the serenity and drink wine or beer. Actually catching something spoils the serenity.

As to sunken treasure, I like many others think that all lost treasure belongs to me. I just have to find a law to back up my claim.

It'll probably turn out that the Spanish sank the English ship with the loot. So it is it rights of salvage or spoils of war?

Edit: cos of one small but key typo
  15. TamyraMcG Active Member

Sorry 'bout that, he is a treasure though, but I haven't been able to find him again. I sure hope I don't have to wait another 25 years to talk to him again. I don't actually see me making a love connection with him, he plays for the other team, mostly.
  16. Stercus Stercus New Member

I've been known to not even use a hook. Just a weight on my line to make it convincing.