What films have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Delphine, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Dane New Member

I saw a film called 'The Thumbsucker' on sky movies indie the other day, I really enjoyed it. Its about a teenager trying to fit in and find his place in the world. sounds a little corny but it really drew me in. It also has a few funny moments with some brilliant acting. My favourite part of the film was that Keanu Reevs (don't know how to spell it, the guy from the matrix) played the Orthadontist, A kind of hippy charicter that takes the role of the psychiatrist.

I'd recommend the film to everyone.

Also saw Shrek the third, terrible. Don't waste your money. the plot is boreing and predictable, the jokes painfully dire and the casting is dissapointing. Justin Timberlake may be a good dancer but he's no voice actor.

A Hugely (and predictably) terrible ending to the trilogy. why did they even bother? they've ruined somthing good and unique. goddamn sellouts.
  2. mazekin Member

I saw Transformers during the week. For what it was, I really, really, really enjoyed it. I want one. Can I have one for Christmas? Pleeeease?
    Seriously, though, I thought that the effects were utterly fantastic! All the way home, I kept seeing trucks and cars and imagining them just...well, transforming. Kept me entertained for at least 10 minutes of the journey home.
    How sad am I?

On a side note, don't watch Vanilla Sky. That's 2 and a bit hours of my life I'll never see again. My sister now owes me big time.
  3. Mithras-Kosmokrator New Member

Not as sad as me - it kept me entertained all day!

Loved it. I was quite pleased it didn't have any really huge star names - it made it easier to suspend disbelief when you didn't really recognise the faces (indeed the voices - not even Hugo Weaving). I can't believe I was getting worried about the wellbeing of a bunch of CGI robots!

Saw the Simpsons Movie, too. It felt like an extended normal episode, and some of the material seemed recycled (perhaps appropriate given the storyline!) but it was consistently funny and there were some great moments. Worth going to see anyway. (And I understand from those better versed in Simpsons-lore that me that it's more like the earlier, funnier series in humour content). Only real dissapointment was that Monty Burns only got a brief cameo.
  4. Sunna New Member

I saw Zodiac with Jake Gyllenhal,he's cute at least.Saw Cape Fear with de Niro,very creepy.Ough,that kiss with him and Juliette Lewis...
    Saw Miss Potter with Renée Zellweger,I liked that even if it was a bit soppy.The History Boys,very suprising.
  5. Cyan Guest

Just saw Die hard 4, not bad if you liked the first 3, and saw again Much ado about nothing (with K. Brannagh) and that's a great movie.

Fugit tempus irreparabile
  6. redneck New Member

Much Ado is one of my favorite movies. I even kinda liked Keanu Reeves in it.

I watched "Being There" last night. It has Peter Sellers and Shirley MacLaine in it. Pretty intersting. Kinda slow and kinda funny. I liked it though.
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

FINALLY. I now have secured the DVD of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, at last, and the 2 DVD version with the crazy bonuses on it... WOOOOHOOOOO :!!

(I know, it's only a model...)
  8. Stercus Stercus New Member

Ni, Ni, Ni, Ni. I want a shrubbery.:lol:
  9. Dane New Member

I saw a Top fifty comedy films show the other night. Holy Grail came 7th, i thought it was funnier that the 6 that beat it. Its my favourite python film.

I saw Clockwork orange last night, Bought it in tesco for £4! Thought it was brilliant. The more physical aspects of the film havn't aged to well but the concept is still Enthralling.

Also watched Garden state by Zak braff, i thought it was really funny, although the ending left me wanting, although that could have been the idea... well worth a watch at anyrate.
  10. Mithras-Kosmokrator New Member

I haven't seen 'South Park' or 'Shaun of the Dead'; not sure if I've 'Airplane!' (must have been many years ago if I have) so I'm not in the best of positions to judge, but certainly I think 'Holy Grail' is better than 'Life of Brian' (and both are much better than the decidedly hit-and-miss 'Meaning of Life'. 'Princess Bride' comes in at only 46 - should be a long way higher up, IMO, as should 'Some Liek It Hot' (currently at 16).

For anyone who's interested, the results are here: channel4.com - 50 Greatest Comedy Films vote from channel4.com/film
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, I haven't seen Princess Bride, but Some like it hot was way funnier than a lot of the 15 that are above it, and 4 weddings is disgracefully low on the chart...
  12. Faerie New Member

My sister rented 300 with her boyfriend and brought it home to me. It was okay I guess, but it could have been half as long if it wasn't filmed in slo-mo.

I still haven't seen Order of the Phoenix, everyone I know has either seen it already, doesn't want to see it, or I can't get people together who want to see it. It really is very difficult to do something when I have friends who don't like each other. I may have to drag my sister or my cousin to see it again with me. I want to see Stardust too.
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

Stardust looks promising, I hope we get the subtitled version here, not just the dubbed one... I won't know until Oct. 24th... :sad:
  14. redneck New Member

Stardust was pretty good. As far as a film, it was enjoyable. As a book to movie, it was ok. I almost left right at the beginning of it because I thought that they had screwed the book to hell, but then I watched it a little longer and realised that it was still in the same gist as the book. I wished that they hadn't taken some of the scenes and characters out, but if they had been left in the movie would have been a trifle long. One of the characters that they left out was annoying, because in the book he plays a pretty big role.
  15. Maljonic Administrator

I watched an old war film called The Cruel Sea yesterday, just mint.
  16. Perdita New Member

Recently at the cinema I've seen:

Transformers
    Die Hard 4.0
    Order of the Phoenix
    The Simpson’s
    Rush Hour 3
    Licence to Wed
    Evan almighty

I've ranked them in order - of which I enjoyed the most...
    Transformers was excellent - I hadn't read anything about it before I went and wasn't really expecting much but it was really really good. Like the other folks here I expected to see changeable cars on the way home!
    Die Hard was good if you like the franchise.yipeee- kai - yea!
    Order of the Phoenix was a good enough book -to movie production - but I'll probably go to see the next two.
    Simpson’s was good but probably equal in humour to an episode on TV - to paraphrase Homer Simpson ...everyone in the theatre was a sucker for buying a ticket because they can watch it for free on the TV.
    Rush Hour 3 - I like Jackie Chan.

Do not, I repeat, do not, go and see the bottom 2 - they were terrible

I go to mainstream cinema quite often when I'm home (at my mum's) basically as something else to do rather than go to the pub of an evening.

I think that the only genre I don't really like is horror but I love action movies. I'm really looking forward to going to see Bourne Ultimatum this weekend!!
  17. Faerie New Member

I just saw Disturbia. I liked it more than I thought I would. I'm not a big fan of any type of scary movie but this one was more comedy/romance/thriller and I liked it.
  18. Dane New Member

saw Hanible rising the other day. as a book-to-film it was terrible. the introduction wasn't true to the book or even remotely historically acurate. which was annoying. the rest of the film was remarkably dull with key scenes missing. they perverted the book so much i could hardly watch.

as a film it was also crap.
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

We saw Planet Terror the other day, it was awesomely fun and funny, I love the force riding out lead by the guy on the pocket bike... Yeah, as awesome as Deathproof, they sure made a good pair of films there, as good as Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

Also, as we don't pay for the individual films we watch (we pay a 19€/month subscription for an all-you-can-watch pass, worth it as the individual tickets are over 9€ each) we went to see Evan almighty. They only had it in French, so we probably missed a lot, but it was a good way to spend a brainless 2 hours, and not as awful as Bruce (not having Jim Carrey in it helped) so overall, I enjoyed it.
  20. redneck New Member

Wow, all the way back on page 9. Took me a while to find it.

I've been laid up all weekend with the flu. Went to the doctor this morning and he gave me some meds that really helped. The best thing was that it alleviated the pressure behind my eyes so that I could at least watch some movies while in my house arrest. Since I'm not supposed to expose myself until Wednesday I decided to watch some movies. The bad side of the meds is that I can't sleep. At least I can watch some movies while I'm wide awake.

Just finished The Number 23, Martian Child, and Gone Baby Gone.

23 was good. I've seen better, but it kept me entertained.

I really liked Martian Child. It's an emotional movie without being a sad movie, if that makes any sense. It's about a boy that thinks he's a Martian and a sci-fi writer trying to understand him. Interesting part is that the story is taken from a true experience.

Gone Baby Gone was intense. Really liked it. It's Ben Affleck's directorial debut and stars his kid brother Casey. This movie doesn't really answer any of the questions that are raised by it, but it takes you far enough that you can draw your own conclusions or at least give you a good guess. I think Affleck was trying to make it vague so you, the audience, could determine on your own whether you thought the choices made by the characters were the right choices.
  21. Katcal I Aten't French !

The last one we saw was Juno, and it rocked. The song just gets stuck in your brain for hours if not days. Oh, there it goes again.
  22. Marv New Member

Clover feild.

Field, even. :)

It was really ... interesting, I think it was a really good idea but I'm not sure what it actually meant to say. I mean, surely there was some sort of deep message? Because I didn't really get why the monster things came. Perhaps I'm missing something here??
  23. sampanna New Member

I saw Snatch again yesterday. While watching it, I thought that Mullet rather looked like Ben. Can't comment on the toothpaste luckily!
  24. Sunna New Member

Saw For Your Consideration,kind of artsy
    Saw Die Hard 4.O,liked it more than I thought I would.Man,is that Bruce in good shape for his age
  25. Nester New Member

I just watched "The 3:10 To Yuma" the other night. The best western I've seen since Tombstone. It's also the first time I've seen Christian Bale play a non-coldly psychotic sociopath. And he did it well!

The last twenty minutes made me grin and my friend cry. Great stuff.
  26. colonesque10 New Member

I've watched loads of films lately.

Transformers 4/5
    Die Hard 4.0 3/5
    Wolfcreek 4/5
    Going off bigtime 4/5
    This is England 5/5
    SAW III 3/5
    Vacany 3/5
    Superbad 5/5
    Paradise lost 4/5
    Blood Diamond 5/5
    Apocolypto 5/5
    300 4/5
    Next 3/5

I love films, I do..... :D
  27. spiky Bar Wench

I've seen movies! They were on DVD but its been a while... OK the verdict

No Reservations: Don't bother see the French Mostly Martha
    Because I Said So: Alright but not something that makes me want to see it again ever.
    Stardust: Cheesy but a lot of fun, would watch again.
    The brave one: Long and strangely uneventful, crap ending.
    Next: Worst script ever, OK action, Crap ending
    Good Luck Chuck: Fun and gross, worth a looksee for a vegetation flick
    Hogfather: Yes finally on DVD here. And i liked and even the anti-DW husband enjoyed it
  28. Maljonic Administrator

I watched The Dukes of Hazzard, which was kind of okay but not really any better made than one of the original TV episodes.

Resident Evil Apocalypse, not so bad in a seen-it-all-before-woman-has-mysterious-look-in-eyes-to-show-she-has-extra-powers- kind of way.
  29. Sunna New Member

Yesterday I watched Juno and Stardust. I looved Stardust,even though it's cheesy. I can't get enough of fantasy films. Juno was good.
  30. mazekin Member

Oh, I loved both those movies! Especially Stardust. It's a nice, gentle fanatasy. I especially loved Robert De Niro in it!
  31. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ooooh, yes, the airy fairy, loved him in that part... Looking forward to getting the DVD...
  32. mazekin Member

I'm watching Jumping Jack Flash...god I'd forgotten it was good. Actually, I had forgotten it had existed! Still makes me laugh though!
  33. Maljonic Administrator

I watched The Golden Compass last week and thought they did a good job of it.
  34. redneck New Member

Watched Iron Man this week. Great movie. It's definitely a top tier super-hero movie. I didn't really care for the ending as much though.

Be sure to sit through all of the credits for a special addition.
  35. jaccairn New Member

They should put warning on films before they do that! Yes, I left before the end of the credits.:sad: I went to a small singlescreen local cinema run by an old couple. They always seem to be hanging around at the end of the film for you to go so they can shut up, and I feel guilty waiting.

I did enjoy the film though.
  36. Katcal I Aten't French !

crap... missed it too, and we only got out about 2/3rd through the credits because the room was packed.
  37. Maljonic Administrator

It was only Darth Vader saying that he's his father.
  38. mazekin Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..[take a breath]..oooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:
  39. mowgli New Member

We had a toss-up between "Iron Man" and "Harold & Kumar escape from Guantanamo Bay", and ended up with the second... It was a definite hoot, and likewise had a bit at the end of the credits (the very, VERY end) which was worth sticking around for!
  40. randywine Member

Mrs R. and myself are going to see 'Doomsday' tonight for a bit of mindlessness. I'll let y'all know how it turns oot.

R.
  41. Sunna New Member

Watched "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" (am in a bit of a Simon Pegg groove),lovely lovely,even on about tenth sight.
    Saw 10.000BC-bah.
    ...Hm,I'm braindead,I've been watching loads but can't remember a single one more than those 3.
    Want to watch "Day Watch",it's a sci-fi I think,could be russian or likewise.
    Oooh,watched Hellboy again,yay.
  42. Katcal I Aten't French !

If you liked Shaun and Hot Fuzz, you should try "run, fat boy, run", another one with that chap what I forgotted the name of...
  43. Sunna New Member

Ooh,yeah,that's one I saw already. Liked it. Not as much as the other two,but still good,AND it's got Dylan Moran in it as well..lovely.
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

Strangely enough a trailer for some show just came on as I was reading this, with Simon Pegg dancing in it... Ohhhh weird !
  45. mazekin Member

Iron Man & Made of Honour. Both were surprisingly good. Word of warning though, Made of Honour is most definitely a chick flick. Just a warning for all you men being dragged to see it. Enjoyed it though. Aaaah, McDreamy....

Iron Man was also good. Aaaaah, Downey Jr.
  46. Sunna New Member

Aaah,McDreamy..........Ooh,this might work to get me over my SP obsession phase
  47. Lawless New Member

Just saw Iron Man with my girlfriend because there was nothing else on. Was pretty impressed considering I usually hate super hero movies! But then, it WAS Robert Downy Jr. who pretty much always rocks!
  48. Katcal I Aten't French !

We saw Indiana Jones, the first one I have ever seen at a cinema, and while I can see why some people will probably not like it, I really enjoyed it... Even though some b***h partially ruined it for me by talking really loudly about what happens at the end in the middle of the office.
  49. mazekin Member

Just back from seeing Indiana Jones myself. Thought it was good! Enjoyed it very much and will now shut up incase I ruin it for others.

All I will say though is...snakes, spiders/webs, scorpions and ants. Is there any other creepy creatures they can use for the next film that will have me rubbing my arms and thinking they are on me?

Katcal, did you go see it tonight? If so, how many women were dressed up to the nines and going to see Sex in the City?! I couldn't believe it! There were five busloads of women waiting outside when we got out of the cinema, and most were more dressed up than a lot of people do going to Christmas Socials. I couldn't get over it.
    Dad tried to join the queue on the way in thinking it was for IJ. Had to drag him out of it as he was getting some very strange looks. I guess that not many 67 year old men are going to go see that one :D
  50. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ah no, thankfully it was on Monday, and not a SATC-ite in sight...
  51. TamyraMcG Active Member

I am planning on seeing IJ4 this weekend, now I have hoped I'm actually going to like it,thanks.
  52. Maljonic Administrator

I just watched Planet Terror on DVD, it has to be one of the strangest and funniest films I've seen in ages.

I also watched Transformers earlier today, which was pretty cool also.
  53. IgorMina New Member

Most recently I saw

Sex and the city, which was ok, but predicteable and meh.

Persepolis, which is definitely better in French: I couldn't get used to the American accents in the English version.

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK, which immediately became one of my favourite films! Is has a girl who thinks she's a cyborg, and a levitating alpine yodelling scene, so what's not to like? :D
    No really, it was the best thing I watched for a long time and I reccomend it to anyone who doesn't mind a bit of weirdness. :)
  54. TamyraMcG Active Member

I did like the new Indiana Jones movie, I thought it was amazing, and I had someone who also liked it to share the experience. Very nice movie.
  55. Sunna New Member

Watched "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" AGAIN,can't get enough of DiCaprio's performance in that
    Just a note on what I WANT to see,would love to see "The Egg and I",which is made after one of my favorite books ever
  56. Katcal I Aten't French !

Today I didn't see Sex and the City. I am happy.
  57. mazekin Member

That made me laugh for the first time today. Thank you. Thank you very, very much.:D
  58. Katcal I Aten't French !

Glad I could be of service...
  59. mazekin Member

No problem! My response to what should be an innocent comment should give you some indication of what a crap day I've just had.

Plus, the images that it brought to my mind don't bare repeating. Tell me, do you often see Sex in the City during the day?...;):D:lol:
  60. Katcal I Aten't French !

No, but I was invited to see it with some girls from work and managed not to accept without upsetting anyone which shows that I was using an unprecedented level of self-control.